Wednesday, October 1, 2014

MakerSquare Day 25: Shiny happy programmers (6/2)

I'm not on the job market right now, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't occasionally think about what the job market is like for developers. Or what it will be like in six weeks, when I am on the market.

And the market is even more on my mind on those days when we talk to career services; or when established developers--MakerSquare grads, mentors, or just allies--come to talk to us about what it's like for them out there in the real world.

The real world is rather disappointing when compared to the computer world, in that the real world has far fewer arrays. I hope it's not too forward of me to say this, but: I love arrays.

But the real world is not so disappointing in terms of careers and places of employment. For instance, today a group of front-end developers at RetailMeNot came to speak to MakerSquare at lunch and they were--what's the word? Happy. They seemed like they liked their jobs and their co-workers, which is a real shock for me to see. (In grad school, where a large chunk of my adult life post-college was spent, people by-and-large are not happy. Or not at my grad school, at least.) 

On top of that shocking expose of what it was like to work in this field (they have foozball tables!), I also had a nice one-on-one chat with the head of MakerSquare career services, discussing possible places I would like to end up and possible salaries. It was a little on the abstract side--nothing as concrete as "I will work for foozball table time"--but it was a good start and something I hope will pay off when I do go on the market.

Which, ahem, will be in six weeks now. In case any possible employers are reading. And have a foozball table that isn't being used enough.

Note: Although we did a bunch of coding today, from brain-waking morning coding challenges to logging users in to a website, I've tagged this as "Teambuilding" to memorialize the time we spent at the end of the day working through a bunch of visual puns and jokes. As a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment