Thursday, September 11, 2014

MakerSquare Day 11: If you don't ask, you don't get (3/3)

Today's theme is basically the title.

And it all started with cereal.

See, in classic tech-company style, MakerSquare has a little kitchen with some snacks stocked by the company, including my favorite, Honey Nut Cheerios. (Consider this a plug, and, if you work for General Mills, feel free to send me cereal.) There's milk too, but, gasp!, it's regular cow's milk, which I am allergic to or intolerant to or scared of. (Whichever you prefer.)

So today, after looking at the cereal for two days, I sent an email to someone in the organization asking if we could get soy milk. And instead of telling me I'm a prima donna (which is true), she said, "sure!"

Which goes to show the truth of that old saw: If you don't ask, you don't get.

And that brings me to the structure of MakerSquare, which is very student-centered and student-led in a way. For instance, today, we spent some part of the morning talking about mentorship and about being clear about what you want from your mentor. Then, in the afternoon, we talked about CSS by all coding up a little web page together, with the students offering suggestions on what they'd want to see and then everyone--including the instructor as the final arbiter--figuring out how to write the HTML and CSS to get that.

The rest of my notes for today are all super specific CSS comments, so I'll leave you with the note that I am still terrible at ping pong, but that our master ping pong player just gave me a little lesson.

(Yes, this is tagged "Sinatra" and "Songify" because we spent time doing that, though I didn't have much to say.)

No comments:

Post a Comment